Thursday, March 6, 2014

Let's Stencil

I've been gradually making updates to the craft room upstairs.

I painted this closet, along with the doors, white; the other night I added stencils to the inside of the closet to give it more character.  I love stenciling closets; it makes for such a nice surprise when you open the doors.  It takes a normally drab storage space and makes it pretty fab, if I do say so myself!

So I already started stenciling when I remembered to take a "before" picture, so this photo is sort-of before:


The closet used to be an almond color.  The doors also used to be a faux-wood.  Blech.  In addition to painting the closet and doors white, I added new hooks to the insides of the doors.  Then, stencil:


The stencil is a Chicago star!


I couldn't find anything like it on Etsy, so I decided to make it myself.  It was super easy.  I downloaded an image of the Chicago star from Google, then edited the image to the size I wanted, and printed it on paper.  I cut the star out, then used it as a template to trace onto a piece of plastic mylar that I bought off Amazon.  Finally, I used an exact-o knife to cut the star out of the mylar, and voila!  A stencil is born.  The only nerve-wracking part was cutting the star from the mylar, because I wanted to make sure my lines were straight.  As you can see from the result above, it turned out pretty darn good!




No comments:

Post a Comment